Sewing The Cozy Dog Coat from scratch
I am so happy that you are going to be making the Cozy Dog Coat. If you are a beginner or seasoned stitcher this is a wonderful place to start your journey in making dog coats. It's an easy pattern and comes together quickly with just two parts: The Body and the Collar. You will learn how to correctly measure your dog and customize the pattern to fit.
Getting the Pattern
You will take your dog's measurements and select a pattern size in Lesson One. Then send me an email to email@example.com and let me know which pattern size you selected, and I will send it to you.
You will find the sewing instructions in both PDF and video tutorial formats. I've also included a bunch of extra resources for tips, tricks, hacks, fabric choices and so much more. Make sure you check out the Facebook Live videos for further demonstrations of how I sew piping, how to waterproof fabric and other tips and tricks.
Recorded Lessons + More
You can check out the recorded versions of ALL the Lessons on the left.
The videos are broken up into three categories:
- Lesson Videos - the pre-recorded Lessons
- Facebook Live Lesson presentations - recorded from the Live Facebook Sessions
- Additional Facebook videos with tips about fabrics, supplies, sewing hacks and more.
There are lots of examples of the coats that others have made on our private Facebook group, so if you haven't signed up yet, sign up today!
Lesson PDFs + Cheat Sheets:
- Lesson 1 - How to Measure Your Dog
- Lesson 2 - Customizing Your Pattern
- Lesson 3 parts 1&2 - Cutting Fabric, Sewing Piping + Collar
- Lesson 4 part 1 - Attaching the Inner Lining
- Lesson 4 part Two - Attaching the Velcro
- Print Instructions
- Dog Coat Size Chart
- Dog Coat Challenge Supplies List
- My Favourite Waterproof Fabrics
- Lesson 1: How to measure your dog in 4 easy steps
- Session 1: Live Facebook Q&A
- Lesson 2: How to customize your pattern
- Session 2: Live Facebook Q&A
- Lesson 3 - Pt 1: How to Cut Your Fabric
- Lesson 3 - Pt 2: How to sew in piping + add a collar
- Session 3: Live Facebook Q&A
- Session 4: Live Facebook Q&A
- Lesson 4 - Pt 1: How to sew the coat together
- Lesson 4- Pt 2 : Velcro closure (coming soon)
Check in on Facebook:
If you haven't already done so, join us on the private Facebook Group where you will connect with other like-minded stitchers. Make sure to turn Notifications on so you get notifications of anything that is new.
Be sure to introduce yourself by telling us where you're from and what you want to learn. Post a pic of your dog who you're making the dog coat for and show us your progress!
Follow my Instagram to get behind the scenes updates on Scouter Wear Club.